“MotoCaribe was founded in 2007 on a simple premise that guides all we do today: to offer all riders worldwide the greatest value on the planet in supported, exotic motorcycle tours, period.
We do much more than ride. We adventure.”
-Robert Cooper, Founder
When looking back at this tour I get this big silly grin on my face. Every time I tell my stories about the adventure I get a great big silly grin on my face. Now when I think about going back for another tour I get an even bigger silly grin on my face.
What more could one want than a little adventure in paradise?
MotoCaribe South West Tours
Many are surprised that a tropical island can have a true arid region, which is what MotoCaribe explores in the South West.
Starting in the tropical mountain town of Jarabacoa (“ha dah bah COH ah”), the tour spends a day riding the central mountains, then heads south toward the Caribbean coast through the southern Cordillera Central range.
After an evening on the Las Salinas peninsula in an eclectic hotel, we continue or trek southward through the country’s dry region to check into our resort in Barahona, home base for day trips around Lago Enriquillo—140′ below sea level, make a foot trip into Haiti from Jimani—and the incredible beauty of Bahia de Las Aguilas to the south.
We return through the amazing mountains toward Constanza and the soon-to-be famous Constanza-El Rio mountain ridge road.
The South West Tour travels through two of the country’s four distinct climate zones.
- Salto Jimenoa
- El Baden bypass
- Cuevas del Pomier
- Las Salinas
- Dunas de Bani (immense sand dunes) National Park
- San Jose de Ocoa
- Lago Enriquillo
- Polo Magnetico (where gravity pulls you *uphill*)
- Los Cocos Wind Farm
- Bahia de Las Aguilas
- Parque Jaragua National Park
- Haiti border crossing
- The towns of Jarabacoa, Manabao, La Vega, Baden, Bani, Las Salinas, San Jose de Ocoa, Azua, Barahona, Jimani, Duverge, Neyba, Bonao and Constanza.
- And, of course, epic motorcycling.
• The 8-Day South West Tour is the “standard” Sunday-to-Sunday MotoCaribe Tour.
• The 9-Day South West Tour, offered only in February, includes an extra day for Carnival in La Vega, a spectacular cultural treasure of sight & sound.
•All South West Tours are on 95% paved roads and are a joy for those who enjoy the twisties. There are three sections of hard packed gravel, 7km, 8km and 11km, and in general the roads are straighter. There isn’t as much traffic and some speeds are higher. The South West Tours spend several days in the “arid” zone of the Dominican Republic and will remind you of the SW United States.
The South West Tour is approximately 1500 km.
All MotoCaribe Tours are excellent for 2-up.
8-Day South West TourRider
- A unique Caribbean experience in the arid region!
- 2017 Dates:
- October 22 – October 29
- 2018 Dates:
- January 6-13
- March 18-25
- November 11-18
- Pillion & Van Tour: $1795